What is Rape?
- Rape noun
- The crime of using force to have sexual intercourse with somebody
- Consent verb
- To say one is willing to do or allow what is asked, compliance in or approval of what is done or proposed by another. — n willingness; permission.
The Legal Definition – Sexual Offences Act 2003, chapter 42 (as at 26/11/2004)
A person (A) commits an offence if –
- he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
- B does not consent to penetration, and
- A does not reasonably believe that B consents
- Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
- Sections 75 and 76 apply to an offence under this section
- A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.
For a full definition of the Sexual Offences Act Parts 1 & 2 2003 go to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/contents