Close site

(Or press escape)

Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

FAQ Frequently_Asked_Questions_iconOn this FAQ page you may find the answer you are looking for, if not please contact us.

If we are unable to give you the answer at the time of your contact, we will endeavour to give you an answer when we re-contact you through your chosen form of communication.

We may place your question on this FAQ page, with some editing to suit the page. Let us know if you do not want this.

FAQ Question_mark

FAQ Frequently Asked Question List

Do I have to report to the police?

It is your choice whether or not you report the incident to the police. We are here to support you in whatever decision you make.

Who will find out?

That is up to you, it depends on who you want to tell.

But you work with the police?

The Independent Sexual Violence Advisor, (ISVA), is totally independent of the police.

Although the ISVA takes referrals from the police, the ISVA is not a police officer or police staff, so does not have a legal duty to report the incident, that is your choice,

In sexual assault cases that involve children, there are laws that the ISVA must follow, and in these circumstances the ISVA would be legally obliged to disclose to the relevant authorities.

I am scared, what if it goes to court?

The ISVA can be with you every step of the way throughout the legal process.

The ISVA can also case track with the police and update you on the progress of the case.

What can you do for me?

We can offer you support whatever you decide to do.

If you choose to involve and report to the police, the ISVA can accompany you throughout this stage during the legal process and will continue to support and guide you through any legal procedures in the criminal justice system.

We can also refer you into other agencies that can help you, such as the GUM clinic, or dentists and doctors, or Victim Support and local housing authorities / associations to name but a few.

Also, if you are in immediate danger, the ISVA will move you to a place of safety, such as emergency refuge hostels, dependant on spaces available.

We work with many agencies to enable us to give you the help you need.

Do I have to see you face to face?

Again, that depends on what you want to do. We can offer you a safe and welcoming environment in which you can talk openly, without fear. Or we can talk over the telephone if you prefer.

It is your choice, we will respect whatever decision you make.

What if I don’t feel like talking?

If you don’t want to talk about it, you don’t have to. We are here for you whenever you feel able to discuss what happened.

Do you have to tell my parents?

There are legal procedures that have to be discussed with you when you contact us, any disclosure to us can be made anonymously, in other words, you can use a different name if you wish.

I am having problems, I can’t sleep and I don’t want to talk to people, one minute I am OK and the next I am in tears, am I normal?

Yes, that is normal after a traumatic event. The body goes through lots of different emotions ranging from numbness and fear, through to anger and guilt or shame.

You may also suffer physical symptoms such as, tiredness, nausea, palpitations as well as many others.

What happens when your help finishes?

Every client is offered the choice of an appointment at Crisis Point, with a highly qualified psychotherapeutic counsellor, who will help you deal with and overcome the emotional pain and psychological problems that may have arisen.

error: Content is protected !!